Advertisement

Who Can Chant Gayatri Mantra?

topic posted Tue, December 26, 2006 - 7:59 AM by  ॐNaveenॐ
Share/Save/Bookmark
NAMASTE

This has come up alot in talks with friends in the last few weeks about kirtan groups in the west on chanting the Gayatri Mantra. I am posting this letter here to see every ones views on this.

KAUAI, HAWAII, December 24, 2006: An issue came up at the Hindu Mission of Canada in Quebec regarding the chanting of the famed Gayatri Mantra by the ordinary devotees. Some brahmins held the position that the mantra should chanted by everyone only when a priest is leading the chant. The chairman of the mission, Dharam Pal Verman, asked Hinduism Today to research the issue. We, in turn, asked our Delhi correspondent, Rajiv Malik, to consult with experts in India. He reported the following points:

1. The chanting of Gayatri Mantra collectively in large groups is something very common place in the temples and Arya Samajas all over India. It takes place everyday. No one ever objects to non-brahmins joining the priests and other brahmins in this chanting of the Gayatri Mantra.

2. In an earlier interview with Hinduism Today, the Shankaracharya of Puri said that mantras need to be chanted by common people in an extremely careful manner so th at they do not get harmed by the high level of energy generated in the process of chanting them.

3. In consultation with Swami Pragyanand of Delhi, who is a big promoter of Gayatri Mantra, Swami said:

a. "Gayatri mantra is for everybody. Why I say this is because every mantra has a devata and in the case of Gayatri Mantra, the devata or God is the Sun God. Now the Sun God is for every creature in this world. therefore gayatri is also for everybody in this world. Gayatri is also known as mother and again mother is for everyone and therefore Gayatri is for every child of God. Anything which is created by God is for everybody, whereas if a man creates something it may be used for the benefit of some people only.

b. "In Bhagavad Gita lord Krishna said that among mantras I am myself the Gayatri Mantra. So how can anybody be deprived of chanting the Gayatri Mantra?

c. "The essence of Gayatri Mantra is that God may grant wisdom to all. Now wisdom is not a monopoly of any one person, state, religion or sect. Therefore as wisdom is for everybody, Gayatri Mantra is also for everybody.

d. "When I went to Surinam in South America for the first time, in some of the temples they did not allow chanting of Gayatri Mantra. But when I explained the meaning and essence of Gayatri Mantra to the people there, they got convinced and the things changed. Today, a few radio stations have a round-the-clock recitation of Gayatri Mantra."

e. Asked about the point of view of the Puri Shankaracharya, Swami said that as the Shankaracharya was of orthodox views therefore he held this kind of opinion on this matter. In an earlier case, the Puri Shankaracharya objected to women chanting the Vedas.

In Love and Light

Pritam

posted by:
ॐNaveenॐ
Colorado
Advertisement
  • So the gayatri is like a banyan seed, the banyan seed will not fructify unless it passes through the digestion of a small bird similarly it us understood by vedic literature that the Gayatri Mantras will not have any effect unless on is initiated by a bona fide Spiritual Master who is in disciplic succession.

There are many other mantras such as the Maha Mantra Hare Krishna Hare Krishna KRishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare. which don't have such rules and regulations. For instance many mantras are required to be canted at certain time, place and circumstance. This is not so for the Maha Mantra any time is good.
    your servant

tribes.tribe.net/sanskrit/...d4d4ed8cc0

No not necessarly, Isn't any medicine porperly effective when taken, no not necessarily, there are guildlines of dosage, time and circumstance. The gayatri for example is said to be of no effect unless recieved from ones Spiritual Master, that is circumstance one has to go through to achieve it effect. Lord Krishna does not accept service directly but rather via medium His devotees

deityworship.tribe.net/thread...ebdab43
    • So if one wants to chant the Gayatri, the brahminical chant, one should adopt the brahminical principles and become a Brahmana and thus not try to cheat themselves of its actual fruit.
      • Unsu...

While in India traveling with my Guru, I was given the rare and most precious gift of chanting the Gayatri mantra. While standing in water we would chant this mantra aloud and at the end of each verse we would submerge ourselves under the water. It was a very powerful purification. Everytime I chanted a round followed by dunking in the water, I felt like layers upon layers of my ego were being removed. My heart aligning with purity and humilty itself. It still moves me just thinking of it.

Now whenever I visit the ocean I chant this and follow the steps of what I was taught by my most beloved Guru. She may not be there with me physically while chanting this mantra,though I still feel the power and and effects of its most purifying power and i do not feel as if my actions are fruitless, for I feel by chanting this I am serving all of humanity.

I do not seek the life of a Brahmacharini just to allign with compassion and truth itself. I do not feel as if I am breaking any rules or codes of conduct, on the contrary, I am only seeking to allign with what I am already one with. Similarly as what Sri Krishna speaks of in The Gita- only He is completely in the highest state- I am still asleep, trying to awake!
        • Very interesting discussion. Now I'm going to put your words to the test and see whom among here is willing to teach it to me. I've never heard of it before but it sounds like a pretty intense prayer. I regularly practice Kirtan and bhajan to any and all of the beloved hindu deities. I would like to know more about this specific prayer and whether or not someone would mind sharing it with me. Even in it's controversy. You can e/m it instead of posting it if that would make you more comfortable, but I'd definetly like to know more about it first.

Love & Light,
          B.E.
          • on the contrary -- I don't think that in order to chant Gayatri -- which I do, and have done, every day for the last, oh, 8 years -- one has to 'adopt Brahmanical ways of life' -- Gayatri itself is so purifying that the behavioral changes EMERGE in anyone who sincerely chants it with an open heart.

what I notice is how many variations on Gayatri there are, and how many different pronunciations. interesting, interesting.

Alx
            • This is an example of someone falsely taking the position of a doctor without having the qualifications. Why not just follow the directions on the label. We all know about the Gayatri by the grace of Srila Vyasadeva, so what is the point of contradicting his prescription? Vyasadeva has given the method that one should develop brahminical behavior before chanting this mantra otherwise it can cause harm. There are other mantras such as the Maha Mantra, Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare. that DO NOT have such stringent rules and regulations as do the Gayatri mantra.
              In the field of Law and Medicine it is illegal to give Legal or Medical advice without have some proper qualifications. The Bhagavad Gita has taught, that the qualification for teaching about Gayatri is that one must become a sincere and humble student of a bona fide spiritual master and follow the proper prescriptions. If we speculate we succumb to bringing this transcendental eternal wisdom to that of human imperfect information.
              • please forgive me if you find my post harsh, it is not directed at you per se, but at the notion that eternal wisdom needs changed according to ones opinions.

The Gayatri mantra works the same as it did 5000 years ago so it sure to have the same prescription as it did then.
                • Unsu...

With all do respect Nityananda, have you ever chanted the Gayatri Mantra?
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Trice daily as prescribed, I chant that gayatri along with the guru, gaura, and krishna gayatri and sunrise, noon and sunset. But I also have been properly initiated due to strictly following brahminical lifestyle, such as freedom intoxication, meat eating, gambling and illicit sex life.

Please understand, I do feel that because of this i am better than anyone, but as spiritual medicine it is wise to follow the directions.
                    • Unsu...

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I think one should become Brahmin before chanting Gayatri.
                      Its hard enough for me to chant my sixteen rounds at the minute (though I am getting there by the grace of Lord Caitanya), what to speak of Gayatri.
                      In fact, I don`t really know much about Gayatri, can you tell me a little more?
                      Thank you,
                      Your humble servent and freind.
                      • There is a wonderful book that I can suggest called
                        The Gayatri Book
                        By Sacinandana Swami

Serious practitioners of Bhakti will want this book in their library. This thoroughly researched, logically presented book covers the seven Gayatri mantras chanted by brahmanas in ISKCON: what they are, the effects of chanting them, the meaning of diksha, becoming qualified to chant the mantras, the practice of chanting, the bijas, and more. The pilgrimage toward pure chanting of Gayatri requires inspiration, guidance, understanding, attention, and mercy. Minute details of chanting Gayatri are laid out systematically for each mantra.

Chapter Eight, "The Gayatri Treasury," is a source of meditation and inspiration on Gayatri, but that's not the only place in the book one will find nectarean inspiration for chanting and becoming more serious about the practice of chanting Sri Gayatri.

An interesting resource: there is an appendix with mula mantras for many personalities, and one about various Gayatri mantras. A full index makes this book a great reference.

Hardbound 340 page, index, 5.75" x 8.5".

Price: $29.95 $26.99
                        Item Code: V9BH205
                        By Sacinandana Swami
                        www.thekrishnastore.com/Detail.bok

also there is

Gayatri Mahima Madhuri
                        By Mahanidhi Swami

'The Sweet Glories of Gayatri.' Based upon the Hari-bhakti-vilasa, the Gopala-tapana Upanisad, the books of Srila Prabhupada, and interviews with senior Vaishnavas, this book describes seven mantras that are important to Gaudiya Vaishnavas. Topics include Diksa and Upanayana, Brahma Gayatri, Upavita and Rules of Chanting, Guru Gayatri, Gaura Gayatri, The Gopala Mantra, Kama Gayatri, Gopi Bhava Mantra, etc. "The Kama Gayatri is the mantra for worshipping Me. Indeed I can be known by the syllables of this mantra," says Srimati Radhika. (--Mantrartha-dipika). Hardbound, 172 pages.

Price: $8.95 $6.99
                        Item Code: S2BH725
                        www.thekrishnastore.com/Detail.bok

but i hear that the first book is more informative where as the second is a little too techinical and can be confusing

ys
                        nrd
                • KDP
                  KDP
                  offline 4
                  I believe and know anyone can chant the Gayatri Mantra at anytime. Yes, it was given to us by God five thousand years ago. There are no rules. Chant it over and over again and practice the correct sound pronunciation. Those particular words will vibrate your chakras at the highest of levels. It will enhance your speech communication and mental clarity. I just finished chanting the sared mantra while listening to live365.com- sacred sounds radio with Tina Malia and Shimshai.

Om Bhoor - boo-or
                  Buvaha Swaha - boova-ha swah- ha
                  Tat Savitur - i's sound like long e's
                  Varenyam -varr- ane -yam
                  Bhargo Devasyi - bar-go day-vas- yee
                  Dheemahi Dhiyo Dee-ma-hee dee-yo
                  Yo Naha - yo na- ha ( don't skip the ha) like most - lessons the vibration
                  Prachodayat - pra- choe- dye- yat

Om Trayumbakam Yajamahe - om try -yum ba come ya jah-ma-hay
                  Sugahandhim Pushti Vardanam - sue-gah-ahnd-eem pooshtee vard-ahn- ahm
                  Urvar -Ukamiva Bhandhanan - uhr-var - oo- kam -ee -va bond- ah- nan
                  Myritor Muksheeya Mamritat - murit -yor mook-shee-yah mom- ree- taht

Derek
            • Unsu...

"what I notice is how many variations on Gayatri there are, and how many different pronunciations."

I have also noticed this, its very fascinating too that it seems that there are many different and beautiful definitions of this mantra...
              Bala
          • Unsu...

B.E. I would be happy to share this mantra with you, though honestly like Alx said there are so many different pronunciations and definitions. You could I am sure find them if you googled gayatri mantra, too read about different ones. feel free to write me if i can be of any help to you.
            Bala

Recent topics in "Kirtan and Bhajan"